WARREN, Pa. – Throughout the school year, the YDL Sports Network will be highlighting different bands in District 9 and District 10 sponsored by TapNPay+.
First, a little about TapNPay+
TapNPay+ is a fundraising company located out of Pittsburgh whose motto is Fundraising made easy! Earn more funds in less time with nothing to sell, hand out or collect. Earning money for your club, team, or organization – not just sports but any organization – is as easy as signing up with TapNPay+ and downloading their app. Find out more at tapnpayplus.com
OCT. 25, 2023 BAND OF THE WEEK – SMETHPORT
Band Director: Emily Housler
Band Members: 56
- Caleigh Wolosewicz – Drum Major
- AJ Claycomb – Drum Major
- Isabella Learn – Band Captain
- Brianna Digel – Marching Tech
- Alex Cole – Section Leader
- Julianna Cole – Section Leader
- Travis Carpenter – Section Leader
- Hope Peterson – Section Leader
- Alyssa Young – Guard Captain
- Raygn Walker – Guard Captain
- Patience “Ink” VanCuren – Guard Captain
Does your band compete? If so what class and in what competitions?
What is your theme for this season?
- Women of Rock featuring “I Love Rock and Roll” by Joan Jett, “Call Me” by Blondie, and “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar.
What is your school’s fight song?
- The Notre Dame Victory March
What are some other tunes you play to hype your football team up on game days? —
- Seven Nation Army
- Hey Song
- Land of 1000 Dances
- Groove Cheer
What does it look like for a band member under those Friday Night Lights?
- One of the biggest things I will miss from high school is the surreal feeling you get from performing under the Friday Night Lights. Whether it’s your first-ever show or your final show from senior year, the feeling is still the same. The adrenaline and excitement you feel when the cadence starts is equivalent to the rush of skydiving. Hearing the crowd cheer for you after is one of the most rewarding noises you could ever hear. The camaraderie and bond you make with the other performers around you after spending weeks practicing and fine-tuning your show for the final product is one that can last a lifetime. I’m so grateful to have had the opportunity to be in this amazing band for six years. I’ll never forget all the memories I made and I will truly miss being a part of this incredible group of people – Senior Drum Major, Caleigh Wolosewicz
What are some traditions your band has?:
- At home football games the band always waves to the opposing team’s band from the stands. They keep waving until the other band waves back.
- When returning from away games the band sings the Alma Mater as the buses go up the hill to the school.
- At the end of home football games, the band, football team, and cheerleaders perform the Alma Mater together, win or lose.
- At band camp, the band will do “Drill Downs.” Drill Downs are a competitive way to work on basic marching fundamentals. The last member standing has made no mistakes and is the winner.
What are some of the band’s goals moving forward? —
- A goal for students is that they to continue to grow as musicians and performers individually and as an ensemble.
- For the group to grow in numbers as we continue into next year.
- We hope that we continue to have fun while making music together.
Watch the Band